Latest:

Wednesday 14 December 2016

Short Story: The Baker's Dozen

Tinkle! The glass door behind me closed. Ah! The sweet smell of freshly baked muffins which have a swirly cream icing topped with rainbow colored sprinkles. A man stood behind the counter. He had blue eyes, Santa figured, white as snow wearing an apron with a girl sewed on it in a pink thread, strolling on the grass, jumping with joy and a muffin in her hand, the sun shined in all its glory. The apron said,‘Welcome to la la land’. He wore a pink-pin striped, white pants and shirt and a boat shaped cap. With an angelic smile on his face, he asked, ‘How can I help you two?’ I tucked myself behind my mom, scared to answer the stranger man. ‘OH! Why don’t you take a walk around the shop and see what you want to have?’

Hesitantly walking away from my mom, clutching her hand tightly, I walked towards the display where those muffins were kept. I saw mini burgers, painted in reds and blues and yellows and greens. Then my sight caught those apple pies, round in shape whose neighbors were the huge stack of brownies. But, my eyes were looking for those who caught my nose the first time I entered the shop. And there they were, sitting next to those lemon tartes, swirly muffins! With the goggled eye, I saw my mom, standing beside me and said, 'Mommy, I need that muffin!' The dark red colored with a white swirl on its head with some edible confetti sticking to it’. She looked at me and said, ‘Wait for the best dear’, pointing to the glass separator which separated the two worlds.

A man came out of the door, with freshly baked chocolate brownies in his hand. He kept those brownies in the display and put a white label in front of it said, ‘Chocolate Mars’. My mom saw the shine in my eyes. Smiling at me, she ordered two special Chocolate Mars. ‘Mommy! Are those both for??’ Laughing aloud she said, ‘No dear. Don’t you want your mommy to have one?’ Pink cheeked, giggling I said, ‘Hehe..yeah mommy’. She reached her purse to take out a green colored note to pay that man. He handed the bill to my mom and then the best part came! He took out the first brownie, then the second one and then the third one! to put them in a brown paper bag. I looked at my mom, confused and asked, ‘Mooommm, the man is giving us three brownies!! We ordered two, then why is he giving us three brownies?’ confused, my mom looked at the man behind the display box, expecting an answer to my question. I could see his pearly whites. He said, ‘an extra one from our side.We give a plus one to our first customers of the day’.My mom took the packet he gave to her, excited, I asked my mom to hand over the brown bag. She gave me the bag. And I opened it to see a Little Red Riding Hood.

I held the muffin bag in one hand and mom’s hand in the other. We walked out of the door. Tinkle! With a jumpy walk, down the hill, I walked with my mom to reach our home.



Written by Ashna Garg
Ashna grew up in a jazzy town (where she felt she can never fit in), did graduation in economics (where she didn’t fit either) and she writes (where she finally started to feel like she fits in)


 
Back To Top
For Editorial Submissions, Business Inquiries or any other query, do write to us at contact@reviewmantra.com

Copyright © 2017    ReviewMantra |  Terms of use  |  Privacy