Latest:

Monday 9 January 2017

Short Story: Sitting On The Bench I Saw...

It’s a pleasant day…Winters are back after all. It’s neither too windy nor too steady; I am sitting on a bench outside my house, looking at the alley that runs between the two colonies for people to enter the area. A small girl is sitting on the floor, at the gate, with her roller skates on, with a dog, patting him and caressing him. The dog lies on the floor enjoying the attention. The weather is beautiful, it is about to be a sunset. The sky is clear except this one cloud, looks as if it has been a brush stroke of white paint on the blue canvas with fifty shades of red!

The kids are playing are playing street cricket. The small girl is now skating and her dog is running with her, latched by the maid who was almost slipping as the dog ran. The dog has a golden and shiny fur, with black eyes and droopy ears which flew in the air as he ran.

On the other side of the alley, there is a group of uncles who are standing close, talking about their days, talking about the incidents that happened, and planning for tomorrow’s day. A car entered in the colony red in color, glazing like a freshly waxed apple would look like. Sharma ji has bought a new car! It’s an expensive one. The shocking part was, nobody was jealous of the new car. They all praised it and asked Sharma ji how much he bought it for, what average does it give and all the nuances of it. And Sharma ji, in pride, answered all of their questions. It seemed he had bought the car for his son as a gift, who topped the university.

Then there was this group of aunties, complaining about the ‘mehengayi’ (inflation) and the demonetization that as happened in the country. Talking about everything else, but their business.

At the same time, there is a bit of noise in the background as the labor is working to fix a part of the wall. And few are busy making another apartment on the third floor. Sometimes it fascinates me how human lives are stacked on each other.

It was about to be dark, the aunties went back to their homes as it was time to cook food for their family, the uncles too went back to their homes hoping to sip some tea and watch TV. It started to get cold. I came into the lift and came back to my house.

My dad was watching TV and mom was cooking food for us. As I opened the door, there she waited, with a glass of milk in her hand, and asked me where I was. And I told her, I went downstairs to play with the neighbor kids. She handed me the glass of milk and then I went to my room to complete my math homework!! While I wrote the numbers on the checked pages, I looked outside my window to find a lone twinkling star.



Written by Ashna Garg
Ashna grew up in a jazzy town (where she felt she can never fit in), did graduation in economics (where she didn’t fit either) and she writes (where she finally started to feel like she fits in)


 
Back To Top
For Editorial Submissions, Business Inquiries or any other query, do write to us at contact@reviewmantra.com

Copyright © 2017    ReviewMantra |  Terms of use  |  Privacy